Tuesday 4 October 2011

Friends with Benefits

Friends With Benefits: Review

I was lucky enough to win two tickets to an advanced screening of the much-anticipated rom-com, Friends with Benefits, on Monday evening. Thank you FAMOUS Magazine! I have to say that I can’t even remember the last movie I’ve been this excited about. I’m a bit of a rom-com lover. And by a bit, I mean that I every Hugh Grant movie on record in my DVD collection and I can quote each and every one of them from start to finish. Add Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake into the mix and you’ve got a pretty happy camper. As you may know (because I mention it in every third blog post or so), I have an enormous girl crush on Mila Kunis, and has done ever since she was the ever-so-cute but oh-so-stupid Jackie in That 70s Show. Now I’ve never been one of those girls who swoons over Justin Timberlake. I think his songs are sexy and he’s hilarious on Saturday Night Live so I’ve always understood it but never really felt it myself. Well, now – I feel it. Ohhh do I feel it!
I have never seen a film where the two main characters have SO much sexual chemistry. I know everyone’s been talking about this for months and every magazine on the planet is sure they’re having an illicit affair but now I totally understand why. These two are ELECTRIC on-screen. But what’s more is that they’re just so natural. I actually felt like I was Mila and that I was dating Justin – it felt that real.
And it wasn’t just the casting director that had done a good job. The whole movie was just amazing. I very rarely say this about movies too. Usually I leave the cinema feeling underwhelmed and gross from eating too much popcorn. But this is one of those movies that sticks with you. Not because it’s terribly original or ground-breaking but somehow, it all just works. I left the cinema feeling hopeful about love and just joyous at the fact that I’m a young girl living in the big city and the world’s my oyster. How many movies make you feel that good?
I could have easily have kept watching for another hour. The story romped along and not once did my mind drift anywhere else. It wasn’t just all sexy fun either. It had an incredible amount of pathos, dealing with the storyline of Justin’s sick dad and his struggles to deal with it. And depsite his rejection of Mila at one point, (forgive me, I’ve forgotten their character’s names. Hers was Jamie I think but he was…?) his character was always incredibly realistic and likable. In a nutshell, she was the girl you want to me and he was the guy you want to be with – but you never hated them for it because they were each flawed in their own ways.
I loved that she wasn’t your typical hot committment phobe. Her main problem was that she was looking for her Prince Charming and wouldn’t settle for less – something I can definitely relate to. They both had successful, high-powered jobs and I liked that their careers were integral to who they were as characters. There was, of course, the delightful cameos. Mila’s mum, who you might recognise as Emma Stone’s divine mother in Easy A (coincidentally, Emma Stone also made an appearance as a crazed John Mayer fan), was playing the same character and gee, she does it well. I was delighted to see my future husband, Jason Segal, make a couple of appearances and Woody Harrelson was just gold.
All in all, a must-see movie. 5 and a half stars. GO SEE IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment